Sunday, October 12, 2008

1st Post In The UK

Finally found a chance to get online and blog. I'm currently in the library, University of Hertfordshire, UK. There's a lot I wanted to share but I just don't know where to start.

A lot of things happened on 8/10/08. I got my visa in the morning, got my flight ticket in the afternoon, attended my grandmother's funeral as well, and then left for the airport after mourning. It was hell, if not close to it.

Me and my family went to the airport with me. Haane was with me the entire day and I was really glad. My uncle and few of his church member came as well. My friends came a bit later. We had dinner at KFC and gosh I was blank. It's all so sudden.. too sudden in fact. Basil sang a few songs together. I was blank. Haane tried to comfort me. I was blank. I hugged Haane before I left and she cried.. And there I went.. down the escalator. No turning back now.

And now, it's the 3rd day in the UH(University of Hertfordshire) and frankly, I've cried more than when I was brought to this world. It was a really hard 3 days for me. Here's a list of why I can't turn the taps off.

  1. I can't see my family, friends, and Haane till June
  2. There's no way I can go back now
  3. Everytime I see something that reminds me of home
  4. All the things my family did for me
  5. All the little things that Haane did for me(the folded stars and crane)

Okay that's just the tip of the iceberg. The list can be longer. Not to mention I've used up 5 packs of tissue already. Even seeing the pricetag on the tissue made me teary. It was tough.

Now, I'm beginning to get used to it. Had to see the bigger picture. I've been locking myself in my room most of the time, spending £25 on calling Haane(I really needed that). Aaron helped me a lot. We cooked dinner together and we went shopping in a nearby supermarket, Asda. I spent almost £50 on stuffs I needed to cook, food stuffs, and kettle. I know it's a lot but it was necessary. Most of the things are actually very cheap if you're working in UK. I'll upload the pictures when I have a laptop. By the way, a laptop is the most important thing that you'll ever need to go overseas. Without it, prepare to think a lot in the room and cry along with it.

Here's what I think about trying to get used to a new country, alone. I think it's not a matter of time trying to adapt to a new surrounding. It's actually a phase. The 1st phase is when you've just arrived. It's the worse of all. This phase will be in action for as long as the individual stays in it. You'll only move along to phase 2, if you manage to get out of it. So, time will not matter.

Anyway, I guess I'm in phase 2 already. Not that bad now. Previously, I never wanted to unpack because if I do, I'll have to accept the fact that this isn't a 9 days thing.. It's 9 months, and I did unpack. My room is still a bit untidy though because the luggage is still on the floor and the clothes aren't unpacked yet because I forgot to get a hanger.

On the 2nd day, I went to a church event called International Food Night. It's when everyone gathers around to have dinner, volunteered by people to cook. I had rice and spaggheti sauce with minced meat. Very nice. Had a great night there. Keeps my mind off of home.

Well, I still miss home though. Very much. And really, there's no place like home. And Haane, Happy 2nd Anniversary! I really wish I could be there for you.. It's already 2 years now being together and I had to say, you're wonderful.. I Love You Haane! Will try to get online more often now. Keep in touch people!

4 comments:

cheezy said...

that's quick... good luck over there sir! *salutes!*

Basil said...

well you know what they say about building character.. eheheheh..

i heard getting a pet helps.. like a fish or something..

Andu said...

thx xiaowen! i need lotsa luck really..

lol! nah that wouldn't help.. what i need now is my baby. Haaane where are youuu!?

KariinaAndrew said...

i'm here bibi! i've been here for you... and will always be. it'll be your first class today! (3pm plus for me, and 8am plus for you)

all the best in class my love! you'll do good! i know you can! :D

i love you!